Downloading & File Sharing
Downloading content over the internet is a great way to enjoy music, video, games and other entertainment. Downloading is also a very convenient way to obtain information in the form of Word documents, PDFs, photos and other files. Also, most software and its periodical updates are now downloaded from the internet.
Downloading should not be confused with streaming, which is where video, music or sound is sent over the internet for you to watch or listen to in real time, rather than being able to be saved on your computer to use later.
- Inadvertently allowing viruses on to your computer - from both websites and peer-to-peer file-sharing programs.
- Inadvertently installing adware that enables annoying popup advertisements.
- Installing spyware that enables criminals to obtain private information for financial gain or identity theft.
- Having your firewall breached, especially when using peer-to-peer file-sharing programs.
- Downloading offensive/illegal material or viruses disguised as something else.
- Breaching copyright. Although downloading free music, videos and software could be tempting, it is illegal to pirate material that is under copyright.
- Ensure you have effective and updated antivirus/antispyware software and firewall running before you start downloading.
- Download executable files (.exe) with extreme caution. These are files used by programs to run on your computer. However, they are also commonly used in viruses.
- Use trusted download websites rather than peer-to-peer systems to obtain programs.
- Be wary about downloading anything, as people can call their files anything they like. Something that appears to be a clip from a new sci-fi movie could in fact be hardcore porn or a virus-infected file.
- Download music only from paid sites such as iTunes, Napster or trusted retailers’ websites.
Safe Peer-to-Peer File Sharing
- If you must use file-sharing software, make sure you choose safe software, install it safely and use it properly.
- Install file sharing applications only when you have effective and updated antivirus/antispyware software and firewall running.
- Consider paying for a premium version that is not funded by advertising, to reduce the risk of adware being installed.
- Download software only from manufacturers’ or authorised resellers’ websites.
- Don't let people browse your files directly, and configure the program carefully so that you only share the files you want to and keep the rest of your files and personal information private. This avoids sharing your emails, photos, financial information or work files with complete strangers.
- Don't share material that is under copyright.
More information about copyright theft can be found at the following:
Jamaican Intellectual Property Office
- Vigilance, combined with up-to-date internet security software, will help you download safely.
- Don’t download copyright-protected material – it can result in serious penalties.
Safe Internet Use
Some valuable tips on using the internet safely.
Software updates are essential. Find out why and how to install correctly.
Everything you need to know about operating system updates.
Viruses & Spyware
A basic understanding of computer viruses and spyware.
What a firewall is, and how it protects your computer.
Maintain privacy and avoid identity theft or fraud.